Sunday, September 12, 2010

Farmers Markets Galore!

On Friday, we hit up the Imperial Beach Farmers Market.  It was slightly larger than the Coronado one and had different vendors.  I will definitely be doing both from now on.  Eggs, cheese and fruit from the Coronado Farmers Market.  Pesto, Jam, and veggies from the Imperial Beach Farmers Market.  I am also eager to check out some of the other ones around San Diego.

We got some great items at the IB Farmers Market.  If we had a little more cash on us, we would've bought more.
What we bought.
Since I'm still on the cooking/baking kick, I got excited when I saw some Golden Beets.  I previously made some Sweet Beet Cookies with red beets.  Not a big fan of the cookies or the red beets.  I knew there were many other colors of beets with different tastes, but had yet to see any in the store or other farmers markets.

I also picked up some Rainbow Swiss Chard.  This will be our new veggie to try.  I was lured in by the beautiful colors of the stalk.  I am going to try two different preparations for it and I'll be sure to post later about it.

We really enjoyed some of the product vendors.  There was a vendor there with like 20 different hummus flavors.  Unfortunately, Matt had just bought hummus at the grocery store.  So we weren't looking for more.
We did really enjoy the pesto vendor, Basiltops.  So yummy!  We couldn't help but buy some!

Another product vendor that we like was selling hot (spicy) jams made from scratch.  She had a bunch of offerings like Jalapeno and Habanero Raspberry.  Me being the baby that I am about spicy foods, wasn't too interested.  She convinced me to try the Jalapeno, since it is the least spicy.  She put some cream cheese on a wheat thin and topped it with some of the Jalapeno jam.  My mouth was in heaven!

On Sunday, we will be perusing the La Jolla Open Aire Market.  I will be sure to post about that shortly.

If you have a farmers market near you, do check it out and support your local farmers and businesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment